Monday, June 1, 2015

About me!

Hi! I am Vanessa Jane. People call me Vani, Cupcake, Queen or Cupcake Queen...whatever you wanna call me. I'm a newbie blogger, not so newbie baker, cake decorator and painter and I have a Master's degree in...( not that it really matters! haha). I used to have a corporate job, with a desk, a computer, phones and printers and a lot of free goodies from clients every December when on the last day of 2012 I quit! So I was jobless on the first day of 2013 and quickly decided that I wanted to bake! luckily though, I got my first order from my cousin 5 days later (I've always been baking for family and friends then). It was a cake shaped like a cockroach! Then I went on and made myself a Facebook page and an Instagram account (which I am hoping to get more followers by blogging! Hahaha).



I’ve been making cakes from then on in our small kitchen from our very small apartment!
I am not a newbie baker. I’ve started baking when I was 11 or 12 when my mom bought tools and ingredients in her attempt to bake that apparently never happened! So I pretty much took over the baking department as well as the whole kitchen from that day on (yup, my mother rarely cooks too!).

My first fondant cake was way back when I was 17 years old (11 years ago). It was my gift from my friend’s 18th birthday. The cake was very far from what I do now, but judging by the work of a teenager, I thought it was a fairly decent job! (I did a similar themed cake last year and well, you can see how much I’ve improved!)


I've never had any formal training (I did however took an all buttercream class 2 weeks ago form the Queen of Hearts Cake Couture when they visited the country but that's it!). My love affair with cake decorating started when I was 16 yrs old when I stumble upon an old unwanted book on a book sale for Php 200, it was a cake decorating book from Sylvia Weinstock (The mother of Sugar flowers!). I just bought the book for no reason at all and got hooked from then on and bought more books after that. So I pretty much learned from books and recently form Google and Youtube University! Here are some of my favorite works that I've done from my past 2 years of home baking.





Please check out more of my works on www.facebook.com/thecupcakequeenph or instagram @iamthecupcakequeen.

My first attempt in opening a storefront last year was a complete failure and I haven’t attempted to try again. But otherwise, I think I’ve been really blessed with so may good clients so I think it's time to give back and share a few of my knowledge on baking and whatnots! I will try, as much as I can (on my free time) to give tutorials on simple cake decorating to baking and where to buy stuffs here in the Philippines! And to share stories on my cake creations as well.

-Cupcake

No comments:

Post a Comment